Monday, May 01, 2006

lingering questions....

So did the Pope sign that document about tridentine masses? Hmm...So what happens when the Pope puts out that new apostolic exhortation about the liturgy that says some instruments like guitars are inappropriate for mass? Will parishes everywhere just go back to organs? Hmm....it's a difficult position. On one hand, I love gregorian chant and I think it would be neat if all the parishes could start filtering out some of the crap music people are playing....but I know that there's some really nice and prayerful contemporary stuff out there which can lead people closer to God if it's done in a humble and appropriate way. I have also definately heard music at some parishes done with the organ that can only make people cringe and pray for it to stop instead of making them focus in on the Eucharist. So what now? Swift changes to happen this fall? Rumor has it this next document from Pope Benedict is due out in October of this year. If you're wondering where all these questions came from....I'm at home this weekend and went to mass at my home parish. We did straight up praise and worship music....it was nice to sing to, but c'mon guys it's Easter! Do some Easter songs! Ehem...sorry for that. I guess deep down I'm still a control freak about mass music. I know.....humility....humility.....humility......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for posting that up. it's was great to see you at mass, (now you can see how we've been since you left...) and i agree with you, i personally miss how you do the kyrie, and other parts of mass. *sigh* if people truly understands what's going on at mass...you have to forgive the guitarist tho, because those are the only songs he knows how to play :S (again more prayers needed)Godspeed UIOGD

Anonymous said...

I am optimistic and hopeful, but also understand that if so many parishes are having liturgical abuse issues, than the Vatican instruction on music may be put on the shelf in some of the rebellious parishes. I am very hopeful about the future of the Church, it may take a while to undo the damage done the last 30 - 40 years. I agree, crap music needs to be flushed out of the Church.