Saturday, March 03, 2007

Core meeting

I was chatting with one of my core members yesterday after our monthly meeting and since we've been studying TOB with the teens he wanted to share this thought about the Fall of Man. He basically said, when thinking about the fall he came to the realization that, before Original Sin entered in, everything that Adam and Eve did glorified God. Every moment of their existence gave glory to God. Whether it be naming an animal, walking around, or eating. Their whole existence lived out Ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus. That phrase which I so nonchalantly have as my signature on all of my e-mails. This was what we were meant for before our sin ruined us. Anyways, it was one of those moments where a familiar phrase or concept does the 12 inch drop from your head to your heart. He said that after coming to that realization he then began to examine his daily life. He began to think what percentage of his day did he give glory to God? How much of the day do we fail in this, our primary vocation? To love and live in Love ...Deus Caritas Est? It was one of those moments where your soul and mind collide and you realize that you were meant for God and that doing anything that didn't glorify Him was just fluff or dangerous. Ah Lent. What a wonderful time of self examination. Sorry God, thanks for the patience.

I hope I can shape up and make this Lent as fruitful as last year. I'm in such different circumstances. Total spin from....on my way to visit a convent and see if Benedictine cloistered life is for me.....to.......working in the Church with youth and trying to make time to pray and see my boyfriend. But, as St. Teresa of Avila says.......
Let nothing disturb thee,
Nothing affright thee;
All things are passing;
God never changeth;
Patient endurance
Attaineth to all things;
Who God possesseth
In nothing is wanting;
Alone God sufficeth.


Just thought I'd share that 12-inch drop moment with all of you. Hope you're all having fruitful Lenten time. UIOGD :)

2 comments:

young-philothea said...

i'm not sure if you we're also doing this subconsciously but great reflection on the Benedictine spirituality Val!

Val said...

Oh no, it was intentional. Those benedictine mottos just get stuck. Time to start looking into being an oblate :D