Thursday, November 13, 2008

Women and Childbirth

Two friends of mine have recently given birth naturally! This is amazing to me not only because of how painful I've heard childbirth is, but because of their willingness to sacrifice in the face of that pain. Their main reasons for giving birth without the help of pain meds is because of side-effects meds can have on the baby. My friend Natalie, gave me some incredible words of encouragement after giving birth to her beautiful son Joseph that I want to share. Natalie and I met while discerning the religious life. We both spent a week together at St. Walburga's in Colorado a couple of years ago. Here's what she had to say:

"I will definitely pray for you... that you will trust God, not be afraid and that all will go well for you and your baby. And don't worry, God will help you out. Something that really helped me was continually offering up the suffering for the salvation of my baby. Seeing labour as the cross Christ was calling me to bear at the time made it actually really meaningful suffering. One's attitude toward suffering, whether you fight it or try to embrace it, really makes the world of difference! "

Such a beautiful example of motherhood, and so early into it too!! Thanks Natalie!!

Only 4 few weeks left until I get to put all the childbirth classes and faith I have into practice!

No comments: