Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Fr. Benedict did you laugh?



Yesterday I got a chance to sit outside in downtown and read up on the Rule of St. Benedict. I actually got through around 6 chapters. It was kinda crazy to just plow through like that. It usually takes me a while to digest it all before I can understand what he's saying....my mind has to slow down into reflection mode. But if you read yesterday's blog you'd see I was in some weird post-Chrism mass ultra-focused state. The rule is great, but I'm just wondering why St. Benedict didn't like laughing.

"54. Not to speak useless words or words that move to laughter.

55. Not to love much or boisterous laughter."

I suppose it just goes along with the spirit of silence. Someone once talked to me about laughing and said that most of the time laughter is at the expense of someone else.....sort of. I don't know, I know monks that laugh.

No comments: